[mapserver-dev] RFC: GMaps API for mapserv

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Apr 10 15:29:03 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 03:07:09PM -0500, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Paul Ramsey wrote:
> >Hi devs,
> >
> >Attached find an RFC for a new map generation mode for mapserv.cgi.
> >Interested in feedback I am. Mmmm.
>
> Paul,
>
> This is very interesting. I would concur with Franks comments about
> trying to not complicate mapserv.c any more than is required.
>
> It seems that the meta-tiling and labeling issues will need to be
> addressed eventually, so I think some discussion of how they would be
> done from a design point of view should be undertaken. If these can not
> be easily solved in this architecture then that might indicate a problem.

I don't think that any of these will be made more difficult by this
proposal: They're out of scope for the current RFC, in my opinion.

> I think a nature question that OpenLayers users might ask is will this
> work with open layers? Yes I know it is more focused on the Google-API
> users, but will it work? would it provide any benefits that I don't
> already have with other layer providers in OL. So just a paragraph
> addressing this would be helpful regardless of the answers.

OpenLayers has similar functionality designed for exactly this case,
documented in http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/UsingCustomTiles , so if
it works for Google, it works for OpenLayers.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta