[mapserver-dev] Tile Access API

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Apr 16 10:35:57 EDT 2008

I think being able to turn off access modes via a map file
configuration is GOOD.
I think having them turned off by default is BAD.
Ease of use, ease of set-up. Most people don't need the protection of
having services off by default, and will struggle to figure out the
magic word to let them in. Having the services off by default degrades
the "Mapserver experience" for that very large proportion of people
who don't need the protection.  For those rare cases of people who do
set up a service and suddenly find themselves overwhelmed with
traffic, we provide the "easy out" of a flag to turn the services off.
The only exception to the above is WFS, since GIS people have an
irrational proprietary instinct towards their vector data, so I would
argue that WFS GetFeature should be off by default.