[mapserver-dev] Tile Access API

Attila Csipa plists at prometheus.org.yu
Thu Apr 17 08:26:24 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 15 April 2008 23.22:48 Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Perhaps a solution if we want an easy to deploy tile service would be to
> re-implement TileCache in C and distribute it with MapServer... that
> would make just one more CGI binary to package with MapServer, but since
> that would be a separate program it could create tiles from any WMS
> service and not just MapServer.
>
> I'm not completely opposed to the idea, but I'm not fully behind it
> either... am I the only one who is worried about the possible impact of
> this on servers?

I think it would be a waste of effort to do rewrites just because of language
and distribution issues. If python IS a showstopper for someone, I'd much
rather suggest using py2exe and making a convenience binary that can be used
as a CGI for those that do not wish to meddle with python. On linux installs,
I guess this isn't really an issue, most distributions already have python
installed or it's really-really easy to install.