[mapserver-dev] Tile Access API

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Apr 17 14:24:10 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 02:02:12PM -0500, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> I have to agree with Daniel on this. This is exactly the issue about
> package dependencies that I was griping about on my GDAL packaging
> thread. IT sysadmins do not know the technology, they do not care, they
> just want to minimize the risk, minimize the changes, etc. They are not
> always enlightened and get cranky if something breaks and they have to
> get up at 3am to fix it.  They want the packages to be updated and and
> not break when they update other system packages for security reasons.
> So adding a caching utility to mapserver would not be a bad thing and I
> would use it for sure.

Er, this makes no sense to me.

 "We want only software which is tested, widely used, widely deployed,
 and has been thoroughly vetted: so we should create a new software
 package and use that."

MapServer may have 'brand name trust': I accept that. But to claim that
the creation of a new utility, and shoving it into MapServer's 'home',
is somehow more secure than using another, existing, tool, is simply
(imho) foolishness. Now, it's the kind of foolishness that IT
departments are *great* at, so I'm not claiming that it doesn't happen:
simply that it doesn't make sense.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt