[mapserver-dev] Tile Access API

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Apr 17 14:29:04 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 01:46:57PM -0400, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> >>Yeah, I know what you're thinking, TileCache requires Python and that's
> >>one more component to maintain when we already have MapServer installed.
> >
> >I don't consider this the important showstopper, though others certainly
> >do.

The phrasing of my statement above was bad. My statement was meant to
read as "I don't consider this RFC good because I think that no one
should need to install TileCache, though others certainly do."

I understand all the reasons that people would do that: I suffer due to
many of them in my daily work. But there are reasons *unrelated* to
performance that this RFC makes sense, and that's the important part
here.

> Lots of developers seem to misunderstand the day to day reality of their
> users.
>
> There are lots (and more than you'd think) of users of MapServer and
> related tools who have only one foot on the bright side and who work in
> shops with a close IT department that keeps very tight control on the
> servers. We had some of those 10 years ago and that's still the sad
> reality today. It takes months (sometimes years?) of efforts for their
> IT departments to review, approve and deploy new technologies. So once
> they've managed to get MapServer through the process the last thing they
> want is to have to get Python, PHP, and/or a bunch of scripts through
> the IT approval process.
>
> Funny enough, in many cases in those shops, any script written in VB or
> .NET will make it through to the server without any problem.
>

> >Still wouldn't solve the problem of idiotproofing configuration, which
> >is the reason I'm in favor of the RFC.
> >

> I guess that's the point I don't get. If the benefit of idiotproofing
> the config of a tile server is higher than the performance costs then I
> agree that there is value to this addition.
>
> Daniel
> --
> Daniel Morissette
> http://www.mapgears.com/