[mapserver-dev] OpenGL Contribution

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 15:25:47 EST 2008

huh, sorry I hadn't seen the draft rfc attached to the original post,
so reading it has answered my questions related to font and raster
stuff.

A few other questions come to mind:
* about precaching symbology, fonts, etc: I think many mapfiles
include a system-wide font and symbology file, only a subset of which
is used in each mapfile. Prerendering everything when only a subset
will be used seems like a waste of cpu cycles. For the AGG renderer in
the pixmap symbol case, the pixmap image buffer is converted to an agg
compatible format on first access only, and is later accessible for
subsequent calls. I think something similar should be done for
anything that needs this kind of transformation, eg by supplying a
void* to each structure so that a renderer can store a private
representation if needed.
* you talk about prerendering fonts and cache them as bitmaps. How
does this fit with varying font sizes (as the size can be read from an
attribute, and/or be different depending on the layer)?
* what's the cost of implementing non-win32 opengl support?

best regards,
thomas