[mapserver-dev] plugin renderer support status update

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Dec 26 13:28:00 EST 2008

thomas bonfort wrote:
> hi Steve(s)
>
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 16:30, Steve Lime <Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us> wrote:
>> A nice Christmas present indeed! You'll have to let devs know how we
>> can help.
> I've got a miriad of questions that would need answering. I'm hoping
> this can be a topic of the code sprint as I feel they would be best
> addressed without having to go through the lag of email.
> For now, it might be a good idea to ask ourselves about the future of
> the pdf/svg output in future releases, as the current drivers seem to
> have fallen behind and lack maintanance. There has been some talking
> about dropping pdflib for another pdf backend: any update on this? I
> also have the feeling that adding a native kml outputformat would be a
> trifle with the plugin approach.

Well regarding futures ... I'm not sure if your changes get us any
closer to good quality print output, but it might from what I saw on the
pdf output you generated. Print is an issue that comes up repeatedly on
the list and most people that gotten anything useful to work have had to
jump through all kinds of hoops to get there doing things like gaint
image files, alternate mapfiles designed specifically around print
output, etc. I understand that there is more to the printed map than
just the map image, but we certainly need to be able to product a high
quality map rendering as a starting point.

-Steve W