[mapserver-dev] Mapfile syntax permissiveness

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Dec 29 09:13:41 EST 2008

It was simply a convenience thing at the time and easy enough to
do with flex. When I teach MapServer I always tell folks to quote
all strings but... It's actually trivial to turn off unquoted strings.

The pain would be significant I imagine. Doesn't mean I wouldn't
support such a change for the next release (if it's 6.0).

Steve

>>> Howard Butler <hobu.inc at gmail.com> 12/27/08 9:06 AM >>>
I was working on implementing a Pygments lexer so we could have
mapfile styling for the new website (see the results at http://mapserver.osgeo.org/ogc/mapcontext.html
  ) and one thing that caused me trouble (still not right in my lexer,
anyway) is that we allow both:

NAME mymapname

and

NAME "mymapname"

Why do some keywords like NAME and DATA allow both the quoted and
unquoted form?  Was there a historical reason for this?  Is it just
because flex supported it?  In my mind, unquoted implies a symbol or a
reserved name, not user data.  Would we ever revert to requiring every
piece of user data to be quoted?  Would there be benefits to this in
contrast to the pain it would cause (maybe we have a 'strict' and
'lax' mapfile parser or something)?

Howard