feedback on possible mapserver enhancements

Pericles S. Nacionales naci0002 at UMN.EDU
Mon Feb 4 14:08:56 EST 2008

Howard Butler wrote:

>>> the advantage of this would be to avoid having to deploy another
>>> server along side mapserver in order to treat the wfs-t side of an
>>> application,as you pointed out. in finality it would mean porting of
>>> the tinyows code into mapserver.
>>
>> There is so much demand for WFS-T by our users that I am slowly
>> giving up and starting to think that we may have to do WFS-T in the
>> end. Please don't tell anyone that I wrote that. ;) ;)
>>
>> I am not sure about integrating TinyOWS code... I have never looked
>> at TinyOWS, but wouldn't a simple merge be messy? How would that fit
>> with existing mapwfs.c code? Could we not just extend the current
>> implementation (and make the necessary architecture changes) to
>> support transactions?
>

> MapServer is not a GIS!  MapServer is not a GIS!  I am not supportive
> at all of implementing WFS-T in MapServer.  What benefit is there to
> be gained by doing so that can't be accomplished by setting up a
> GeoServer instance alongside MapServer?  IMO, it is the best-of-breed
> open source WFS-T that's out there, with tons of momentum and
> development force behind it -- why go to the trouble to re-implement
> it in MapServer?
>
> Technically, one challenge I see for MapServer implementing WFS-T is
> that MapServer apps generally expect to be transient and stateless.
> MapServer does not do well in long running processes (any MapScripter
> who's tried can give you gobs of complaints about this), and it has no
> concept of transactional operations which I think would be very
> challenging to bolt on in any smooth sort of way.
>
> IMO, MapServer should continue to improve upon what it is good at, and
> WFS-T is not something that I think it would be good at without a lot
> of re-engineering (we hate churn, remember?).  With some effort, we
> could have something workable and maybe even functional, but it will
> get nowhere close to what GeoServer has.
My $0.02...  I agree that MapServer is not a GIS.  But adding a WFS-T
support still doesn't make MapServer a GIS.  ...maybe one step closer.
:)  Also, what's the point for a user to install GeoServer and MapServer
when GeoServer can do what MapServer does?  Won't you agree that
MapServer loses out in that scenario?  I doubt many users would want to
install both and manage all those configuration files.  I also agree
that it would be a technical challenge to add WFS-T support in MapServer
but having TinyOWS code already available for review/merge should help
some in that regard.

If WFS-T is to be supported--and I support the idea--it should be
optional and that it should not have a drastic effect on MapServer's
rendering performance.

-Perry