feedback on possible mapserver enhancements

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at METACARTA.COM
Tue Feb 5 16:30:12 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 03:33:43PM -0500, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> The driver is trying to keep client installation simple. The more
> packages and applications that need to be loaded on a webserver makes it
> much harder to sell the installation. If a client is not using python or
> java or tomcat, etc then you need to justify adding any of that into
> their infrastructure. Production sites are pretty locked down.

Sure, I understand that: but if you can get MapServer into someplace and
*not* Python + FeatureServer, I'd be very surprised. How do you sell
that one? What makes MapServer an easier sell? (And more importantly,
how can the Open Source Geo-community solve that problem?)

> So, I stand by my use-case with the possible modification that maybe it
> doesn't need to be WFS-T.

Your use case is what, exactly? "I can't install any programs on the
production server, and I want to serve maps and edit features" clearly
isn't it, since if that was the case, you couldn't install MapServer:
what gives MapServer the pass, while FeatureServer is stopped at the
gate?

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt