[MAPSERVER-DEV] Standardized source header

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Mon Feb 11 12:56:13 EST 2008

Steve,
the difference between the two licenses can be seen here:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=MapServer_Provenance_Review&diff=22575&oldid=22574

The relevant bit is:

MIT:
"all copies or substantial portions of the Software."

MapServer:
"all copies of this Software or works derived from this Software."

I don't see a real problem but I would still suggest that while you are at
it you might want to decide to change your standard header for the OSI
certified one.

Regards,
Arnulf.

> Steve Lime wrote:
[...]
>> I don't see how OSI certification impacts this at all. I believe that,
>> way back, Tom Burk submitted the  MapServer  license to them for
>> approval but never received a response...

One of the common goals of FSF and OSI is to prevent proliferation of
licenses. OSGeo says this about licensing (maybe this needs to be changed
a bit):
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/about.html

"The foundation's projects are all freely available and useable under an
OSI-certified open source license." Open Source Initiative (tm) Logo

But on the Open Source org page it says: The logo "Open Source Initiative
(tm)" may only be used by projects that use one of the approved licenses.

Search this page for logo to read about usage:
http://opensource.org/faq

I should have noticed this earlier. This has probably no relevance as long
as OSGeo is not the Copyright owner. On the other hand OSGeo wants to be a
common roof and wears the OSI trademark on the web. Any comments?

Regards, Arnulf.

--
Arnulf Benno Christl
http://www.osgeo.org