[MAPSERVER-DEV] feedback on possible mapserver enhancements

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 10:25:25 EST 2008

(replying on behalf of camptocamp)

We (camptocamp guys) think that a WFS-T (even a stateless one)
implementation could be meaningfull, mainly because FeatureServer
doesn't (yet ?) handle OGC WFS-T, and GeoServer is Java based
(so it is not always a suitable choice in terms of available technology).

The TinyOWS application (which is a stateless WFS-T CGI server written
 in C upon PostGIS) was born in this context, as an R&D project.
It took time to implement and check OGC units tests, but it was done.

Right now, the question (for us) is, could we imagine to bring that
kind of experience and knowledge related to WFS-T stateless
implementation in C, into MapServer ?

Technically speaking the answer is clearly yes, but it is a fairly large
job.

For the next couple of months all the developers that could work on the
project are fully booked on customer projects. So camptocamp is only able
to give some help, but we can't take the whole thing by ourselves.

So if demand is there, and others are willing to participate, we are
ready to help on this.