Is MapServer Thread-safe?

adrian kruk adrian.kruk at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 21 09:36:59 EST 2008

After reading article  'Is MapServer Thread-safe?' in FAQ I have doubts.

My question is what means that some component is unsafe, I don't know
architecture of mapserver and I don't need to know.

So listed unsafe components telling me nothing except my imagination what
these components are doing.

Answer for the question need also some examples of code (e.g. some
workarounds in C# with using mapscript_csharp)

I have this kind of situation:

I 'm created ASP.NET application and I'm using mapscript_csharp dll.
Each of browser clients will have its own map object instance stored in
session cache. So each client request is creating new thread on IIS server.

So, new client must wait for its map object if mapscript is just creating
map object for other client (other thread), even if server has many
processors? Becouse of Map config file loading its global parser and it is
locked. I Am wrong?

The same situation after some time. Two clients (two threads on server)
requests for image calling map.draw(). This is unsafe situation becouse of
'some static data in Imagemap output'?

Regards,
Adrian Kruk