Is MapServer Thread-safe?

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 22 04:42:30 EST 2008

2008/1/22, Adrian Kruk <adrian.kruk at gmail.com>:
> In my opinion this bug should be done as soon as possible. Maybe core
> developers should consider to plan new release only for doing mapserver
> multithreaded.
> These is big limitation.

The most fundamental components can be used safely right now that are
protected with locks. However a higher level of multithreading support
would be desired, but there's many things should be done for this
purpose that we cannot do out of contract like:

- Reviewing all the portions of the mapserver and the dependent libraries code
- Alter the method how the common resources are accessed (negotiate
the desired changes with the component owners)
- Create test applications that can cover most parts of the
mapserver/mapscript code.

> What about running MapServer as WMS server, is there the same problem with
> performance with many clients running simultanously?

I this case you probably run mapserver as a CGI or FCGI application,
that doesn't suffer from this issue since only one request is handled
at a given time within the same process.

Best regards,

Tamas