[mapserver-dev] print large ecw mosaic

SUSANNE susanne.kalliany at tefis.at
Wed Jul 2 17:23:50 EDT 2008

Dear all,

For a web-based GIS application (forest-management) I am implementing a
solution based on MapServer and ka-map. There are 2 critical issues:

1) The system has to cope with huge number of high-resolution
    orthophotos in ecw format.

2) Printing/plotting on small desktop printers and/or large plotters.

My current questions are in prticular

ad 1) If (and how) I may introduce one or more levels of intermediate
       resolution. The generation of such data is no problem, but how
       to organize it properly ?

ad 2) Shall I use shp2img.exe for printing and is it possible to start it
inside ka-Map application (with the option to continue after printing).
		Or should I use print_map.php shipped with ka-map - my first test did not
print ecw.

Can anybody provide me with hints and possible ideas for those issues ?
I would be most gratefule for any useful information

Susanne Kalliany