[mapserver-dev] Re: [mapserver-users] How can I rasterize the symbols in a symbol file?

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Jun 4 22:15:24 EDT 2008

There used to be a sym2img utility but it's been busted awhile. If you have class names defined you could simply request a legend from the CGI and look at things that way (e.g. mapserv?mode=legend&map=foo.map).

There's another option too. I added a legendicon mode to the dev (5.2) version of the MapServer CGI. The mode is "legendicon" and there's a new "icon" parameter that takes a value like [layer]{:class} where layer is a layer name and (optionally) class number (starting with 0 I think). Here's an example:

  http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv50?map=COMPASS_MAPFILE&mode=legendicon&icon=lake_dnrpy2

You could probably easily create an HTML page full of these links and preview things that way. The legendicon is not dependent on the presence of a class name so it can be used on any layer/class combination.

Steve

>>> "enri" <enri at 163.com> 06/04/08 8:09 PM >>>
Hi guys,

I want to preview the symbols in a symbol file by drawing them without drawing the whole mapfile, is that possible and how can I do that?  Is there a utility like shp2img available?

Thanks a lot.

Enri Zhou