[mapserver-dev] Proposed maporaclespatial.c header...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 17 11:00:52 EDT 2008

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Steve Lime wrote:
>> Aversion to really long source file names is driving the change...
>> Plus folks seem to use SDO as
>> the common way of referring to Oracle Spatial so this would be inline
>> with that.  IMHO that swiching
>> map.h to mapserver.h was far more significant and doesn't seem to have
>> cause many problems.
>>

> I don't think it's the filename change that's a problem for Frank, I
> think it's mostly the mapfile change (ORACLESPATIAL -> SDO) and its
> impact on the users. I would have to agree that we should avoid changing
> the mapfile identifiers unless there is a good reason to do so, and in
> this case I am not convinced that SDO is more commonly used than Oracle
> Spatial in day to day talk (for the little interaction I have with
> Oracle users). I admit that I always found ORACLESPATIAL was a bit long
> as an identifier, but it may be too late to change it.
>
> So I'd be -0 on the ORACLESPATIAL identifier change.

Folks,

Honestly, I'm against most change without a driving reason!  But yes,
I think changing the CONNECTIONTYPE is the most egrariously damaging change.
Next most damaging would be changing the "mapserv -v" output and least
damaging is the filename change.  But really, they are all annoying churn
for (IMHO) very little value.