[mapserver-dev] Cache-control in WMS Requests

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Mar 18 16:11:26 EDT 2008

First time I really noticed it, and one of the annoyances of IE6 was
always that it appeared to load the off-screen stuff first :)
Everything is hard to quantify... I noticed after writing the post
that Safari appeared to cache the images REGARDLESS of the
cache-control header.  And then FF seemed to start ignoring the header
and requesting tiles every time, then it flipped back and started
caching...

I think the moral of the story is to do the right thing (express your
desired behavior) then cross your fingers and hope. Better than
nothing.

On the HTTP 1.0 versus 1.1 debate, I found this post interesting. I
think the behavior as it stands is probably good enough.

http://www.mnot.net/blog/2007/05/15/expires_max-age

P.