[mapserver-dev] Feedback required: plans for Downloadable Users Manual

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Mar 27 09:15:14 EDT 2008

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your feedback.  Comments inline:

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I like what you propose. I think that we should see this as a work in
> progress and additional sections/chapters can be added in future
> revisions of the manual as needed, based on users feedback.

I totally agree.  It's quite a daunting task.

> A few notes/suggestions:
>
> - I think the interest of a downloadable users manual is to be
> self-contained and not rely on an internet connection, or on external
> docs unless absolutely required. In addition to pointing to HOWTOs and
> ref docs in the text, what would you think of including copies of all
> those HOWTOs and references in appendices at the end of the PDF itself?
> Perhaps there could be two versions of the manual: the lite version
> which relies on external refs, and the thick version which includes
> copies of the external references in appendices? That would really be
> two copies of the same document, with and without the appendices.

I have been writing it with the self-contained goal in mind.  I like
your suggestion of including key howtos and reference docs in the
appendix. I would prefer one version of the document though (it's going
to be quite large anyway).

> - Have you thought about the process to generate the manual? It would be
> great to have an automated process, a kind of makefile or script that
> pulls the relevant docs out of SVN, processes them and spits out the
> updated manual from the latest docs. I am not the person to advise on
> the tools to use to do this, I'm just making a suggestion that I think
> might help long term maintainability.

hmm. honestly i am 30 pages in.  I am willing to maintain this document,
  and I think the best way to make a usable document is to generate it
by hand (of course grabbing existing material along the way).  I hope
this method is ok with you.

My plan is to commit the 'mapserver-users-manual.odt' file into
/trunk/docs, and point to the pdf in the Downloads/Current section of
the site.  What do you think of that plan?  let me know.

Thanks for the feedback.

-jeff