[mapserver-dev] mappostgis.c

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Wed Nov 5 09:21:37 EST 2008

Steve Lime ha scritto:
> A good threat, probably long overdue. Do you have any feel for the performance end of things? I
> recall the Geoserver tests showing GeoServer performing substantially better than MapServer w/regards
> to PostGIS.

I still wish someone other than me could run the comparison
and confirm/disprove my results.
For most perf discrepancies there is a reasonable explanation,
but for this one, no, there's not, and the possibility that
I may screwed up something in the configuration of mapserver
really makes me nervous.

If you're on a Mac, GeoServer will never be as fast
as on Win/Lin, WMS wise, due to the lack of the native JAI
and JAI Image I/O extensions, so replicating the WMS
results will be hard. Yet, replicating the WFS 1.0 results
should be relatively easy, and I can help in configuring
the JVM in case that is needed (on Linux, with 2 cores
and more than 2GB or memory, it self tunes assuming it's
running on a server, in other environments it won't).

If you want to try that, just let me know, I'll try to help
out.

Cheers
Andrea Aime