[mapserver-dev] ms rfc 48: adding a type keyword to the styleblock

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Nov 5 22:55:37 EST 2008

When we first thought of style types it was limited to a couple simple options
(begin, end, labelpnt, bbox). Of course ideas grow and operations like convex
hulls or buffers sound doable. That immediately brings RFC 22 into my mind
again. Tamas, how do you see this working with those ideas?

Steve

BTW I like the GEOEXPRESSION idea. It would add a lot of functionality...

>>> "Tamas Szekeres" <szekerest at gmail.com> 11/05/08 5:37 PM >>>
Thomas,

I this is a neat idea, however it seems there are a large number of
options how the geometries could be transformed, therefore it's quite
difficult to maintain these as some pre-definied types at style level.
I'd rather like to see a custom expression to be evaluated here, which
could easily be extended according to the further requirements without
having to introduce new keywords in the mapfile. We could consider for
example something like:

STYLE
  GEOMETRYEXPRESSION  "buffer(geom, 25)"
END

An expression evaluator could easily prepare this, by building up a
hierarchy of structs containing the pointers to the geometry operation
functions along with the constant values and the geometry
placeholders. With this option we could also support complex
expressions like:

GEOMETRYEXPRESSION  "difference(buffer(geom, 25),geom)"

I think we should support this geometry transformation at layer level
as well, since for example we might want to specify labeling options
regarding to the transformed shapes. In this case the geometry
transformer should be hooked into somewhere inside the LayerGetShape
and LayerNextShape calls.

Best regards,

Tamas