[mapserver-dev] Documentation Updates

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 23:36:46 EST 2008

All,

Jeff and I have been working on the documentation with the expectation
of implementing the RFC that I wrote to stop using the Plone website.
The first, and probably most important, step in that process is
migrating our reference documents to be managed in subversion and
provide a way to render a website from it.

Practically all of our references and most of our howtos were stored
as ReStructured text in the Plone site.  The Python project, and a
number of other software development projects, are using Sphinx http://sphinx.pocoo.org/index.html
  to manage their sets of ReStructured text.  Sphinx is basically
Doxygen for ReST.  Look and feel can be changed with templating and
css, but I just wanted to demonstrate organization

Here's some output that's basically a first run to give you an idea
where things are heading:

http://iowa.hobu.biz/msdocs/build/html/references/index.html

http://svn.osgeo.org/mapserver/trunk/docs/

Howard