[mapserver-dev] problems with AGG in Mapserver 5.2

Karsten Hoffmann khoffmann at igf.uni-osnabrueck.de
Tue Oct 21 08:42:41 EDT 2008

Dear developers,

I have problems with AGG in MapServer 5.2.0 (ms4w 2.3.0).

I want to create a layer with TYPE CHART and a legend. But mapserver crashes
and I get an internal server error too.

The error message is: „Die Anweisung in „0x100db369“ verweist auf Speicher
in „0x00000000f“. Der Vorgang „read“ konnte nicht auf dem Speicher
durchgeführt werden.“

It happens only if I create a legend. In &mode=map all works fine but in
&mode=legend mapserver crashes.
In Mapserver 5.0 (ms4w 2.2.6) I had no problems with the same mapfile and
data. And with using GD (instead of AGG) in Mapserver 5.2 it works too.
I also have the same problem with a Layer with the Symbol Hatch. So it
doesn’t only happen with the CHART Layer.

In the Apache error.log is written:
[Thu Oct 16 13:12:21 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end of
script headers: mapserv.exe, referer:
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/fossgis08/wes
er2.map

I have the same problems on two different machines with the same
configurations:
Windows XP SP3, ms4w 2.3.0 with UMN 5.2.0 and Apache 2.2.9

MapServer version 5.2.0 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=PDF  OUTPUT=SWF OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=AGG
SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=ICONV SUPPORTS=FRIBIDI SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER SUPPORTS=FASTCGI
SUPPORTS=THREADS SUPPORTS=GEOS SUPPORTS=RGBA_PNG INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS
INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Parts of my mapfile:

MAP
NAME  	        Uebung2
IMAGETYPE   	AGG_PNG24
EXTENT        		3430018 5876533 3491970 5959506
UNITS       		METERS
SIZE    		500 500
SHAPEPATH   	'data/'
SYMBOLSET    	'symbols/symbols.sym'
FONTSET       	'fonts/fonts.list'
IMAGECOLOR 	200 200 200

OUTPUTFORMAT
  NAME 'AGG_PNG24'
  DRIVER AGG/PNG
  IMAGEMODE RGB
END

WEB
	TEMPLATE  './template2.html'
	IMAGEPATH 'C:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/tmp/'
	IMAGEURL  '/tmp/'
END

LEGEND
   	KEYSIZE 40 40
 	LABEL
  	  TYPE BITMAP
  	  SIZE MEDIUM
	  COLOR 50 50 50
   	END
  	STATUS ON
END

LAYER
NAME       'chart'
TYPE        CHART
STATUS     ON
PROCESSING "CHART_TYPE=bar"
PROCESSING "CHART_SIZE=30 40"
PROCESSING "CHART_BAR_MAXVAL=3689"
DATA 'Lan_point.shp'
CLASS
   	NAME "Bevölkerung 0-18"
   	STYLE
     	SIZE [bev0_18]
     	COLOR 220 0 0
	OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
END
END
CLASS
   	NAME "Bevölkerung 18-30"
   	STYLE
     	SIZE [bev18_30]
     	COLOR 0 0 220
	OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
END
END
CLASS
   	NAME "Bevölkerung 30-45"
   	STYLE
     	SIZE [bev30_45]
     	COLOR 0 180 0
	OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
END
END
CLASS
   	NAME "Bevölkerung 45-65"
   	STYLE
     	SIZE [bev45_65]
     	COLOR 220 220 0
	OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
END
END
END

Could this be a bug? Perhaps it has something to do with the ms4w package? I
used the Dependency Walker on the mapserv.exe and got the following:

Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing
export function in a delay-load dependent module

The module DWMAPI.DLL cannot be opened. The system doesn’t find it.

Best regards,
Karsten Hoffmann