[mapserver-dev] MapServer documentation policy (mapserver.org vs.wiki?)

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Apr 1 11:24:28 EDT 2009

It's a good question. I kinda look at the wiki for two things:

  - short-lived, rapidly changing documents pertinent to development, not software use
  - staging for additions to the website, kind of a documentation sandbox

IMHO it should not be home to permanent documentation. There's too much there
now and it should be cleaned up.

I don't know if we really need to bother the full PSC with content additions. There
was some talk of a documentation sub-committee that could serve in that role and
I'd like to move that ahead.

The process of moving documents from the Wiki to the main site could be run through
trac and the documentation component. I guess I don't know how easy the migration
from the wiki to what Sphinx requires is. Perhaps Howard et al. could comment.

Assuming the path from wiki to main site is understood I would see the wiki as a
great place to build and test the C# tutorial with the final destination being the
mapserver.org site.

Steve

<f3b73b7d0903311402g40c6bfcdo359c878f66b7c49d at mail.gmail.com>, Tamas Szekeres