[mapserver-dev] documentation localization and svn structure

Lars Lingner ml at lingner.eu
Wed Apr 1 15:22:44 EDT 2009

Hello list,

I would like to know how the structure in the repository should be
organized in regard to future translations. At
http://svn.osgeo.org/mapserver/trunk/docs/ is the English documentation
 and one idea is to use an subdirectory for each language:

...trunk/docs/de
...trunk/docs/fr
etc.

So should I just create the directory? Are there objections or other ideas?

Second question is how to handle untranslated chapters. As for now I
have everything finished in the mapfile subdirectory and its index page.
Should I only check in the translated files?
Then I would work through the chapters and do an check in when the next
one is complete.

Third question is how to maintain the translations. I volunteer for the
German part. But how would I (or others) get notified when the English
docs get updated? I would like to keep the translation synchron with the
English one.

As I read at this list, the docs get also branched with new releases,
don't they? So would also the translations then. I cant guarantee to
finish a new translation with each release... but this depends on the
volume of changes. As I remember there wasn't huge doc updates with
every release, so it might be ready at release date.

And finally: There are a few typos in the docs, nothing serious, but
should I report them or just fix it.

Thats all for now. Thanks for your attention...  :)

Lars