[mapserver-dev] FW: MapServer enhancements/refactoring project

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 1 16:18:16 EDT 2009

Kralidis,Tom [Ontario] wrote:
> -dev: see thread below.  I have no choice but to bring in -dev here.
>
> Daniel: you have got to be kidding me.
>
> Coming from a non-Java environment, this would represent a major
> showstopper and end of use (and commitment) to MapServer from myself and
> over 100 install bases.  A change as drastic as this will no doubt crush
> confidence in foss4g to those I have been working with so hard to build
> MapServer and foss4g.
>
> For the last 10 years.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Regardless, I think this thread is best discussed with the community who
> should be involved in this discussion.

Tom,

I think some of the discussion you have forwarded to the list may have
been done (implicitly) under non-disclosure and should not have been
distributed beyond the original list without permission.  I think it
would be better for those "on the inside" to make a decision and then
present it to the rest of the community once a message has been prepared
and agreed on.

Note that even if the majority of MapServer developers move on to work on
the "new technology" Java implementation, there is no reason a few folks
couldn't stay behind to fix bugs in the old MapServer.  We could call
them Classic (C) and Enterprise (Java).