[mapserver-dev] Upper Limit to Number of Layers in Map file

Peter Willis peterw at borstad.com
Tue Apr 21 12:41:06 EDT 2009

Hello,

I am attempting to use mapserver as a WMS server for
a large number of rasters.

The system I am using has a collection of over 21000
geo-referenced  rasters.

These can be sorted into various groups, however
any specific group of rasters may exceed 400 or more.

I have tried modifying the value MS_MAXLAYERS in
map.h and recompiling but am unsure if I will exceed
the binary size of whatever variables are affected by
that constant.

What is the maximum, safe, binary size of the
MS_MAXLAYERS constant that will not overflow
the variables/procedures that use it?

(ie: ulong32, ulong64, ushort16, uchar8,...???)

Thanks for any insights,

Peter