[mapserver-dev] Proposal to form a documentation steering committee...

Lars Lingner ml at lingner.eu
Tue Apr 28 10:06:43 EDT 2009

Steve Lime schrieb:
> We discussed this in passing a while back and I'd like to move it forward if there's still
> interest. I think an organized group of folks focused on just documentation would be
> a good idea. They would work under the PSC but could be relatively autonomous. I
> see the group being made up of regular users- not devs unless there is interest. We
> could ping the mapserver-users list for volunteers. The group could take on issues
> such as:
>
>   - identifying and prioritizing documentation needs
>   - organizing multilingual docs (hence a multilingual committee)
>   - soliciting and coordinating the creation of documents
>   - ownership of the website
>   - migration of documents from the trac wiki to the website
>
> If folks think this is a good idea then the first step would be to identify a chair for the
> group and then perhaps draft a basic RFC that outlines responsibilities, relationship to
> the PSC, etc... I'd be happy to participate as a member but don't want to lead the effort.
>
> Any volunteers?

Here... I'm interested. Since I'm working on the german translation, I'm
already familiar with the MapServer docs.

I would like to work further on translation and help to keep it
synchronized, although I don't know how yet. It would be very nice to
form a group and discuss doc related issues.

Along with the documentation I also think this group could create and
maintain a free dataset which can be referenced in user documentation.
So all (?) the features of MapServer can be demonstrated in some real
use cases.

I'll stay tuned for (hopefully) more replies...

Lars