[mapserver-dev] EPSG File Overhead

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Feb 4 15:56:39 EST 2009

I'm firing up Andrea's suite and getting some profiling results...

Using the tiger_pg test harness, and his default map file, with the
EPSG codes at the top of the EPSG file, I get throughput of 35.5 req/s
and profiling shows fscanf taking 26% of time. Editing the map file to
replace init=epsg: entries with full proj4 definitions, and running
again, I get throughput of 44.7 req/s and profiling shows that proj4
overhead has dropped to invisible (probably because there are no
actual reprojections in this test). At that point, the biggest CPU
overhead is compressing the output GIF, so we're going very well
indeed.