[mapserver-dev] Better resolution handling for printing

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 16:53:14 EST 2009

2009/2/18 Brent Fraser <bfraser at geoanalytic.com>

>  Daniel says "it is not sufficient to update the map->resolution setting
> since all the label and symbol sizes as well as line widths also need
> updating if you want to maintain the same map appearance."
>
>  Perhaps we just need to allow a SIZEUNIT of POINTS (in addition to the
> current PIXELS, FT, etc), as in "Font Points" (e.g 72 per inch).  That way
> you could set the map (output image) resolution to whatever you want and the
> text, symbols, and line widths will always be the same readable size on the
> printed output.

Brent,

In my understanding we don't want to alter the settings of the mapfile in
many places like changing the SIZEUNITS for each layer, but just rescale the
whole image by a single parameter. In the first case we would have an option
to set SYMBOLSCALE to a proper value for each layer to allow the scale
dependent sizing of the symbols and the labels but it would require to
"specialize" the mapfile in this regard.

Best regards,

Tamas