[mapserver-dev] MapServer 5.4.0-beta1 Released

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Feb 18 23:59:23 EST 2009

Hi all: The MapServer PSC is pleased to announce the release of the first beta for the 5.4.0 release. This will likely be the last major release in the 5.x series as we are planning for a 6.0 release later this year. Important new functionality includes:

  - support for WMS 1.3.0 (RFC 30)
  - style-level geometry transformations for enhanced output rendering (RFC 48)
  - expanded URL mapfile configuration (RFC 44)
  - numerous symbology, labeling and cartography improvements (RFC 49)
  - major re-factoring of the PostGIS driver code

As usual there an a large number of additional small enhancements and bug fixes. For a complete list is the HISTORY.TXT file at:

  http://svn.osgeo.org/mapserver/tags/rel-5-4-0-beta1/mapserver/HISTORY.TXT

The release can be downloaded at:

  http://mapserver.org/download.html OR
  http://download.osgeo.org/mapserver/mapserver-5.4.0-beta1.tar.gz

This is the first of two beta releases and if all goes well a final release should occur in early March. The full release plan can be viewed at:

  http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/54ReleasePlan

We need your help to ensure a high quality product so please help out by testing your applications with this new code base.

Thanks! - Steve