[mapserver-dev] PDF support wrap up...

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Tue Jan 20 23:19:49 EST 2009

Steve,

  Not enough discussion for a consensus yet, but my opinion is:

1. Keep Mapserver as simple as possible (and keep it focused on
web-mapping), but:
    - freeze Haru & PDFLib render code; switch effort to Cairo PDF output.
    - bring Mapserver's PDF (and SVG) generation up to the level of it's
other rendered output (to have rotated symbols, 24-bit rasters, etc)
    - add some small enhancements (e.g. a few additional FORMATOPTIONs) to
make Mapserver's PDF/SVG output usable by existing Open Source Page
Layout, scripting, and automated formating tools.

2. Outside of Mapserver, start construction on a C-based Cartographic
Surround Library (see
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Library) to supply enhanced
graticule, scalebar, and legend rendering.

3. Collaborate with Open Source Page Layout projects such as InkScape and
Scribus, as well as OSGEO apps (e.g. qgis, udig, etc) to resolve any
integration issues with the Carto surround Library.

simple...

Brent