[mapserver-dev] Fractional label sizes (post RFC49 comments)

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 16:27:03 EST 2009

Hi Folks,

It would be reasonable to add fractional label size support as per RFC49
before the next release. (I thought it has already been addressed by this
RFC but unfortunately not). I guess however it wouldn't be a big deal since
either GD or AGG use label sizes of data type double internally when
rendering truetype labels. By adding this option I guess we could easily
configure scale dependent labels either with the SIZEUNITS=DD settings.
Another reason I've come up with this feature is to get better support of
setting the label sizes for OGR and using the STYLEITEM=AUTO option and
having the label sizes in map ground units in the mapinfo layer.

I'd volunteer to support this change within RFC49 if no one will object to
this.

Best regards,

Tamas