[mapserver-dev] SVG symbol support-MapServer

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Jul 7 15:03:03 EDT 2009

Thomas Bonfort wrote:

> yes, seems like a viable option although it won't support the full svg
> spec. The advantage is that now that we've forked the agg code into
> mapserver this will mean no new dependency.
>
> maybe the next step is to explore the limitations of the agg/svg
> parser, see what is or is not supported, and decide if we can live
> with that.

I think a subset of SVG would be fine for symbol definitions, as long as
none of the key features/primitives are missing. I like the fact that
this approach would add no dependencies, but OTOH we'd end up
maintaining our own parser which sounds like a duplication of work when
we could possibly delegate the parsing to an external library.

After further checking it seems that the libsvg-cairo option discussed
earlier uses its own libsvg parser which has not been maintained since
2005 either... so it's not a much better alternative than this agg/svg
parser in the end.

Unfortunately I only know enough about SVG to be dangerous. Is there
anyone familiar enough with the SVG spec that could give us an opinion
from a quick browse of the
agg-2.4/examples/svg_viewer/agg_svg_parser.cpp source file? Does this
parser support enough of the SVG spec to be a viable solution?

Thanks in advance

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/