[mapserver-dev] A Question

kiran varma kiran.varma2k7 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 09:49:51 EDT 2009

In the IRC that took place on the 8th July, 2009 (
http://logs.qgis.org/mapserver/%23mapserver.2009-07-08.log), tbonfort
mentioned that we would need to create a special cache to hold SVG symbols
based on their size and orientation. I am having trouble grasping the need
for such a cache. Would it be possible for someone to elaborate on it a
little?

So far, what I have understood of the overall proposed solution is the
following:

1. Trigger the SVG parser and renderer according to
        SYMBOL
                TYPE VECTOR
                FILE "/path/to/file.svg"
        END
2. On triggering, generate a pixmap of the SVG file and store it in cache to
prevent having to rasterize it every time. Keep this step in a single
function to allow for using different rendering libraries later on. Parsing
is done throught the svg_viewer example provided in the AGG sources.
3. Render the pixmap using a rendering library (such as AGG or GD).

Why is there a need to have a cache for SVG symbols based on size and
orientation?

Regards
Kiran