[mapserver-dev] Version 6.0 release plan...

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Jun 17 18:01:21 EDT 2009

Doesn't bother me to do another 5.x release although I don't want to hold RFC 52
back and that may require changes by users. I would hope that performance oriented
changes could be in place by 5.6 though.

Frank will have to chime in one the graphics API and rasters. I've not heard anything
on that topic yet.


>>> thomas bonfort <thomas.bonfort at camptocamp.com> 06/17/09 12:52 PM >>>

On Jun 17, 2009, at 17:59 , Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> Steve Lime wrote:
>> Hi all: We've talked about releasing just before the conference in  
>> October and that's coming up
>> fast. A plan needs to be place soon, very soon. I created a  
>> skeletal version on the trac wiki a
>> while back:
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/60ReleasePlan
>> What's really unknown is what folks are planning to add. Thomas has  
>> the output API in trunk
>> and the single-pass query stuff basically works in the sandbox but  
>> hasn't been merged. There
>> were lots of other topics dicussed at the sprint etc... that I  
>> don't know the status of:
>> - OpenGL support - RFC
>> - raster drawing improvements - from code sprint
>> - new method of configuring WxS services (OGC/WXS block?) - from  
>> code sprint
>> - XML mapfile (schema and stylesheet to go from xml to map) - from  
>> code sprint
>> - support for references (e.g. sharing styles or label defs across  
>> objects) - from code sprint
>> - more graphics enhancements (moving things like GAP, PATTERN to  
>> styles, etc...) - RFC
>> Others?
>> We'd need a feature freeze in mid-August I figure. Thoughts?
> I think Thomas did some work on an AGG fork in sandbox/aggfork/,  
> there was a lot of positive feedback on this idea.

That sandbox has been merged into the trunk, so we won't need a  
dependency on an external libagg anymore.

As for the september release, there will also be rfc54 (rendering api)  
with the support for svg and pdf outputs through libcairo. I doubt  
that we'll have something stable and/or featureful enough by the end  
of september (eg. there is still entirely no support for raster  
layers, and unless I'm mistaken no funding/time to get it done soon).   
We'll also probably be having the code from our gsoc projects (kml  
output, and svg symbols).

My feeling is unfortunately that the september release isn't worthy of  
a 6.0 name yet. What do you guys think about calling it a 5.6, with at  
least the cairo part marked as experimental and paving the way for 6.0 ?



> -Steve W
> _______________________________________________
> mapserver-dev mailing list
> mapserver-dev at lists.osgeo.org
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapserver-dev

mapserver-dev mailing list
mapserver-dev at lists.osgeo.org

More information about the mapserver-dev mailing list