[mapserver-dev] Sandbox Priv.s

Perry Nacionales naci0002 at umn.edu
Fri Mar 13 13:08:50 EDT 2009

Howard Butler wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
>> Any member of the MapServer community can request mapserver_sandbox
>> group access to the trunk sandbox, provided that the person
>> requesting the sandbox explain on the -dev list what they plan to use
>> it for and that no objections are expressed by PSC members within 2
>> business days.
>>

> I disagree with the idea of 2 business days.  I think delaying someone
> sandbox access can have a dampening effect on enthusiasm, momentum,
> and willingness to share, which the sandbox access is hopefully there
> to help capture.  Granting sandbox access to *all* OSGeo userid's
> would be fine with me.
>
> It seems you want a bit of a check on unfettered access though.  Maybe
> the rule for getting sandbox access could be that you convince a
> committer there's a good reason for you to develop one.  IIRC, the
> committers all list their "areas" in the docs somewhere (if we don't
> do this, we should).  A potential sandboxer should look at that list
> and shoot an email to someone who's doing related things (someone
> monkeying with renderers, or someone fixing the SDE bugs that I ignore
> :) ).  Ask them "hey, I want sandbox access to do X, Y, and Z".
> Committer agrees and grants them access by pointing and clicking a few
> things.
>

>> Any regular mapserver committer moving code from a sandbox to trunk
>> assumes responsibility for ensuring it is appropriate from a
>> copyright point of view and that all other requirements of the
>> committer guidelines are met.
>
> Absolutely.

Agree with Howard.  If someone with OSGeo ID asks for permission to play
in a sandbox, to help fix/improve something then we shouldn't hinder
that too much.  Too many rules/restrictions will hinder participation
and too little could leave it open for abuse.  In the end though, any
code committed from sandbox to trunk needs to be verified clear of
copyright issues.

I'm +1 if Howard's suggestions are implemented.

-Perry