[mapserver-dev] documentation localization and svn structure

Lars Lingner ml at lingner.eu
Mon May 11 15:09:51 EDT 2009

Howard Butler schrieb:

> On May 9, 2009, at 10:45 AM, Lars Lingner wrote:
>>
>> I was playing around with Sphinx, but couldn't get the language suffixes
>> to work. Instead I found a way to handle the docs as follow:
>>
>> #some "global" files and directories
>> ...trunk/docs/_static
>> ...trunk/docs/_templates
>> ...trunk/docs/{conf.py,labels.py,Makefile)
>> #and the documentation separated in <language>-directories
>> ...trunk/docs/en/{cgi,community,development,...)
>> ...trunk/docs/de/{cgi,community,development,...)
>>
>> I modified the Makefile, so that for every language the html/latex/etc
>> code output is generated.
>> The output will be placed in ../build/en/{html, latex, labels,...} the
>> german output goes in ../build/de/{html, latex, labels,...}. Other
>> languages will be handled the same way.
>
> Excellent.  I'm glad you found a workable solution that you seem
> reasonably happy with.  It was mod_negotiation that I was thinking
> about.  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_negotiation.html  This
> way should be just as useful and easy to maintain.

Alright. I think this Module could also be used. The filenames than have
to include the language shortcut. I'm not sure about how to make it
possible to let the user switch the language (without changing the
language in his browser).

>> The generated code can be served by the webserver. Wouldn't it be
>> possible to use mod_rewrite to keep the current urls but get the content
>> from an <lang>-subdirectory?
>>

> Yes, we can do that.  We'll just need to cook up some permanent
> redirects and a few rewrites.

That would be an easy fix. Its just some code in the template. And of
course the icons have to be present.

> This looks great, and I'm glad you've been working hard to get a
> workable solution.  I would be interested in hearing from Jeff and
> Perry, but I think we should implement this as soon as possible,
> including backporting it to the 5.4 docs.  Others may have different
> ideas though.  It will be nice to finally have a workable multilingual
> solution to MapServer's documentation -- especially one that isn't too
> restrictive.

Thank you!. If there are any questions I'll be there to answer it.

Lars