[mapserver-dev] MapServer/GDAL/ECW improvements at the Toronto Sprint

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Thu May 14 13:37:28 EDT 2009

On May 14, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Steve Lime wrote:

> Hi all: May be the wrong list but I recall hearing across the room
> that significant performance improvements with ECW
> and MapServer/GDAL were made. Just wondering where those changes
> reside (in MapServer trunk, GDAL trunk or a
> released version?). Any clues helpful...

If I recall correctly Frank was planning to redo some of the raster
reading stuff for 6.0 so that it would support interleaved reading (as
opposed to RasterIO that is band-at-a-time which happens now), but
that work hasn't been done yet.  For certain drivers like ECW and
MrSID, we should see some dramatic improvements if we do this.  I
suppose it would be prudent to wait until the rendering plugin API
work has stabilized before taking this one on as well.

Howard