[mapserver-dev] Need mapfile for AGG and Transparent overlay

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Nov 5 09:23:41 EST 2009

Thomas,

When I display the the map as the base map I want antialiasing on so the
map looks smooth. But for a transparent overlay, I do not want
antialiasing on because it creates lots of artifacts along the edges of
lines in a transparent image.

What I have done in the past is create two mapfiles one for AGG that is
antialiased and another that I run through GD that does not have
antialiasing in it. This is a lot of extra work.

The reason I have been doing this is that the GD renderer does(did?) not
not understand things like WIDTH, you had to use a SYMBOL and SIZE to
stroke the roads.

Maybe I've had my head too buried in projects to notice that things have
changed in which case I would be happy to be enlightened :) otherwise my
request is that we try to drive the renderers to support a common
mapfile language/behavior and/or to the extent that they support it
allow transparency/antialiasing to be switched on/off.

My goal is to get this into your thinking and planning, because I
realize it is likely not a small task, but I think it would have high
value to users if they can trivially switch between antialiased maps to
transparent overlays using the same mapfile and change a few parameters
and layers on/off.

Thanks,
   -Steve W