[mapserver-dev] Re: mapserver export plugin

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Nov 6 08:35:56 EST 2009

Hi Richard!

It was great meeting you too in Sydney!  Well I may just take your offer
of a place to stay in the Amsterdam area someday :)  Thanks!

That's good news that you are working today on the mapserver plugin at
the hackfest...very cool!  I'm CC-ing the MapServer-dev list, so others
can follow this.

Here are a list of issues with the MapServer Export plugin (I am using
version 1.3.0-Mimas) :

High Priority enhancements
==========================

- "Export LAYER information only" checkbox seems to export all
objects...I was assuming only the layers would be exported

- if "Export LAYER information only" is checked, the exported mapfile
has blank SIZE and NAME parameters in the MAP object, which causes an
error in MapServer

- LABELs are not exported for any layer types

- POLYGON STYLE object includes a SYMBOL, which is not needed

- for LINE STYLE
    - the plugin exports the color into OUTLINECOLOR, but it should be
exported into COLOR instead
    - SYMBOL and SIZE should be removed, and the WIDTH parameter should
be used instead
    - WIDTH/SIZE is not correctly exported

- IMAGECOLOR seems to be set to '192 192 192' by default -> where does
that value come from?  The default should be white '255 255 255'

- I think an option should be added to the plugin interface to "do not
export projection information", so that no projection objects are
exported if this is checked (often the data displayed is in the same
projection, which means no projection objects are needed anyway)

- If a layer is off in the QGIS legend, the MapServer Export plugin
exports the layer with STATUS DEFAULT -> that layer should be exported
as STATUS OFF

Low Priority enhancements
=========================

- plugin interface should allow input of WEB's IMAGEPATH, IMAGEURL, and
possibly METADATA parameters

- layer status is set to DEFAULT (should be set to ON, otherwise the
layer will always be displayed in OWS requests)

I can continue with more I'm sure :) Let me know if you need further
testing/comments.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna