[mapserver-dev] SVG Metadata

flo850 at free.fr flo850 at free.fr
Mon Nov 9 10:41:44 EST 2009

Hi,

     As far as I understand the way cairo generate SVG, the  main difference with the current svg rendering engine is the way cairo render text.

     In the current engine, a text object contains the entire label(mapsvg.c,line 1000).
     That way,  the font rendering is done client side. It can drive to inconsistency if the font is not installed on the user system but the server cost is extremely low.
     It's not possible to draw a FOLLOW label for directly, but it seems  possible to make it with the svg element textPath, granted we can know the object referenced by a label.

     In the cairo engine, teh label is drawn serverside : each glyph is rendered either as a path or a symbol (cairo-svg-surface.c _cairo_svg_document_emit_font_subset call  _cairo_svg_document_emit_glyph for each glyph ) . That way, there can't be any problem of non existent font  on the user system. On the other hand, the semantic of the label is lost.

     regards,