[mapserver-dev] symbol lazy-loading

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Nov 21 10:43:13 EST 2009

Thomas,

I think for historical reasons maybe, but also for management reason, a
lot of people have large repositories of image symbols, and a single
symbolset file. I build mapfiles for a lot of people, and use a common
repository, but in most cases only a few, less than 1%, are used in any
one mapfile.

Part of the reason for this is that if you ship a mapfile to a client,
you also need to send the symbolset, fontset, etc. and it is just easier
and less error prone to tar up a standard directory of these support
files. It is a pain when you ship something only to find that some file
or another is missing and the product is broken when deployed remotely.

I think a lot of people would benefit from this.

On the other hand, as the symbology definitions are getting better and
better in mapserver, I also find that I rely less and less on the older
image symbols, but that just may be me.

-Steve W