[mapserver-dev] Use of XML namespace URIs in MapServer

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Oct 1 13:42:31 EDT 2009

Ticket http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3142 raises an issue about
the default namespace URI used by MapServer which is currently
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mapserver and apparently this breaks some
apps because this URL does not resolve to anything. Docs about XML seem
to say that the namespace URI does not absolutely have to resolve to
anything, so we are still waiting to hear from the reporter which apps
that breaks.

Regardless, I thought we could simply change the default to
http://www.mapserver.org/mapserver but Tom wrote that some parsers rely
on the namespace value and this could cause a backwards compatibility
issue.

To avoid bloating the ticket with a long discussion we decided to move
it here to try to come up with a plan for resolution for the next beta
(next week).

Here are a my questions/concerns:

- I'd be interested to hear more from XML gurus about the real impact of
changing the default namespace URI from
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mapserver to
http://www.mapserver.org/mapserver, even if it's just for consistency
with our current Internet domain name.

- While checking docs on namespaces a bit, I saw several examples that
seem to use a different/unique URL path for different XML schemas.
Should we not do the same, e.g. http://www.mapserver.org/wms,
http://www.mapserver.org/xmlmapfile, etc?

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/