[mapserver-dev] IRC meeting for the 5.6 release, tomorrow

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Oct 7 21:01:41 EDT 2009

Hi dev's,

Release manager speaking...

You are all invited to a 5.6 release meeting this Thursday (tomorrow)
morning at 11am EDT on the #mapserver IRC channel. (this time should
work for both Europe and NA):

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=10&day=8&year=2009&hour=11&min=0&sec=0&p1=165

Sorry for the short notice, I raised the idea in my note to this list
yesterday, hoping to get responses about availability and a good time
for everyone, but given the lack of replies, I figured I should go ahead
and schedule it... with the hope of gathering as many of you as possible
in the room at the same time.

The agenda is fairly open: General discussion about the release, how
it's going, and what your respective availability and plans are.

My main concern is the long list of tickets going back several
milestones and that haven't been touched in a while, many of them being
minor or unreproduceable issues. I'd like to hear about everyone's
availability to cleanup their own list of assigned tickets before the
release (i.e. address or push then to a future milestone). Expressing
your lack of availability is fine, in which case we'll know that we
should reassign or postpone the tickets. The goal is not to point
fingers or blame anyone (I've got my own list of old tickets as well),
it's just to know what to expect for the coming weeks.

I also realize that with FOSS4G around the corner, the timing for a
release sprint may not be ideal. (Note to myself for next time: we
should start the release much earlier if we want to have something of
quality in time for FOSS4G.)

That being said, 5.6 is an interim release on the way to 6.0, and other
than a couple of critical tickets, things are not in bad shape, so I'm
still confident that we can wrap up the release in the coming weeks, and
push most open tickets to 6.0. However, it would be good to hear your
take on that in the IRC meeting tomorrow.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/