[mapserver-dev] MapServer project status report at FOSS4G

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Oct 20 12:30:08 EDT 2009

Looks pretty good. The 5.4 release plan is pretty up-to-date with major additions (RFCs), bug fixes
and dates.

  5.4.0 - released April 23
  5.4.1 - released June 3
  5.4.2 - released June 24

Focus on security is good. Other 6.0 stuff I've been thinking about revolves around things like:

  - MapScript API clean up (fixing function signatures)
  - GD support clean up (remove anti-aliasing, perhaps move to new rendering API)
  - Template clean up (simplify supported tags)
  - Support for label styles
  - Inline SLD
  - Support for block references so things like styles or labels can be shared
  - Object (e.g. layerObj) serialization to strings

Might also talk about possibly adding additional communication channels such as a blog and perhaps a
Twitter channel.

Thanks for taking this on!

Steve