[mapserver-dev] Re: Please help tweak and test Mapserver on theFOSS4G DVD

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Thu Sep 17 11:35:39 EDT 2009

Sorry, forgot to reply here too yesterday.

I included documentation and Gmap + itasca demo inside the LiveDVD. The
install script is available in their svn:
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/

PS: If any HTML+CSS guru could improve the current index page, which is
actually.... ugly? :P, that's would be great.

Alan

On September 17, 2009 11:24:26 am Steve Lime wrote:
> Sorry, was away at a staff meeting for a few days. Regarding the Itasca
>  demo it can be downloaded from
>  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mapserver_demos/workshop-5.4.zip. Perry was
>  going to add it to the downloads section on mapserver.org but I don't
>  think that's happened yet. Anyway, it should be configurable with a bit
>  sed. Let me know how I can help with that.
>
> Steve

> Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:
> > Steve Lime wrote:
> >> A quick look and the script seems reasonable just to get the CGI
> >> installed.
> >
> > Can't do much without
> >
> >> a demo though so that would seem a reasonable addition at a minimum. The
> >
> > debian folks were
> >
> >> going to package the stock demo but I'm not sure where that stands.
> >> Maybe
> >
> > the other devs might
> >
> >> have an idea.
> >>
> >> Now I'll just wait a couple of days to download the VM pieces... ;-)
> >
> > Steve, Cameron,
> >
> > Sorry for the late response, I just came back from vacation.
> >
> > I can ask Alan to help with the packaging. He may just need some
> > guidance on what we want to include.
> >
> > Here are a few questions to get started:
> >
> > 1- Does the FOSS4G DVD already pull packages from the UbuntuGIS
> > repository? It would be our intention to use UbuntuGIS packages instead
> > of the stock Ubuntu packages since they are more up to date. Is that a
> > problem?
> >
> > 2- What do we want to include? Here is a suggestion:
> >
> >    - cgi-mapserver
> >    - Itasca demo (Steve: where is the most current version for v5.4?)
> >    - PHP MapScript
> >    - GMap PHP demo
> >
> > 3- For the docs, we could possibly just include the Sphinx-generated PDF
> > for v5.4 but that's not very user-friendly. A better option would
> > probably be to package a snapshot of the website docs and include that
> > on the DVD. Any preference?
> >
> > Daniel

Alan Boudreault
Mapgears