[mapserver-dev] MapServer Question

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Sep 28 11:24:38 EDT 2009

Jide Odulana wrote:
> *Hi all,
>  Does MapServer support Unicode characters?*
>
> *Is it possible to embed any unicode characters such as tonemarked
> alphabets in the generated map, and/or in the generated legend (which
> are a pictures, .gif)?* *If possible, can you please direct me to some
> resources out there that can guide me.*

Yes, MapServer supports character encodings for labels (using libiconv).
You need to use the ENCODING keyword in your label definition to specify
the encoding of the strings in the data file and the labels should
render properly.

There is a list of encodings that the lib supports here:

   http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/

... and one can also use the "iconv -l" command on a system with
libiconv installed to get the complete list of supported encodings
on that specific system.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/