[mapserver-dev] Re:#3265 - Scale dependent layer switching error with Mercator

relet thomas.hirsch at statkart.no
Tue Apr 27 02:46:25 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I have been trying to solve an issue we have with the mapserver rendering
detail level when using different projections and the MAXSCALEDENOM limits.

http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/Layer-scale-problem-with-Mercator-EPSG-900913-td2575585.html

To this aim, I have implemented the idea mentioned there by Pål, to specify
different scale denominator limits for different projections

Now I am struggling to find a good place in the Mapfile syntax for this.
Currently, I have crudely attached the projection string to the
MAXSCALEDENOM parameter, where it is possibly the most straightforward for
people who need this feature. But as Daniel correctly pointed out, it's a
quite specific implementation, and no reason to extend the general syntax.

The same argument would certainly apply to the internal objects. E.g.
layerObj, where I grouped the various scale denominators with a scaleObj, to
be able to store several of them in a hashtable, indexed by the epsg codes.

Hence, I am looking forward to any suggestions how to contribute this
feature in a generic, but user-friendly way.

Thank you all in advance,
best regards,
Thomas