[mapserver-dev] RFC-60: Label enhancement to skip ANGLE FOLLOW labels with overlapping chars

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Aug 27 10:44:20 EDT 2010

On 8/27/2010 9:52 AM, Smith, Michael D ERDC-CRREL-NH wrote:
> Jeff et al,
>
> My recommendation would be that if its a change in behavior, the make it
> explicit to turn it on, not explicit to turn it off.
>
> I do think this will be a very important addition to labeling.

I think we need to take into account the bigger picture for this
release. 6.0 is a major release and we expect that there will feature
changes that will break backwards compatibility. I think we should make
this decision based on what other things are also changing. For example
do we have other mapfile changes that will break compatibility? Will the
rendering changes break compatibility? Others changes. If this is the
only significant change to the mapfile that might break compatibility
then I might be more persuaded to to worry about backwards compatibility.

I think one of the on going goals for mapserver is to simplify mapfiles
going forward. If I have to add a new keyword to activate every new
feature this is not going to meet that goal.

While I am one that usually fights for backwards compatibility, I do not
think it is a simple decision on a major release like 6.0.

-Steve W